This song is based on the idea that pieces of knowledge are like charms, which can protect you in life. I stole the idea from the comedy writer Armando Ianucci, who wrote a sketch about an, "adult wizard," who can perform such miracles as understanding pensions or knowing how to apply for a mortgage.
Everywhere we go, we grow a bit so... it isn't as hard when it comes back
Everything you learn, gives the spell a turn... Increasingly a less fearful life
Mistletoe for a kiss
A raised thumb to make the bus come
Carrying a folder to ward off bosses
Practice to avoid fear
There is no spell to make someone love you...
Confidence to seem right
Phrygian scales sound metal or Spanish
I bought this guitar to right a broken heart
This house casts a spell of light, comfort and shelter
There is no spell to get what you want
* Crescent Horns - This refers to a magical symbol in Egyptology (and was inspired by a similar song title by the band Nile). I really love them
* Mistletoe - A parasitic plant, hung up at Christmas for people to kiss under
* A raised thumb to summon buses - My Mum always holds up her thumb, when she wants bus drivers to stop for her. This was also mentioned in a comical book about witches, that I owned as a child.... In the book, raising your thumb is described as a magic spell to summon buses. Perfect for this song!
* Carrying a folder to ward off bosses - My Grandad once told me that you should always carry a folder at work, to make yourself look busy :-) It's served me well
* There is no spell to make someone love you - Sadly this is true
* Confidence to seem right - My Dad once told me that, if you say something confidently, people will tend to believe it. Sadly for truth and society, this is usually true. (I'm generally too tied up by trying to see other peoples' opinions)
* Phrygian scales - The Phrygian mode is used a lot in Flamenco music and in heavy metal
* "I bought this guitar to right a broken heart" - This refers to a purple Squire Stagemaster guitar, which I bought in London after confessing to a friend that I had feelings for her
* "This house casts a spell of light" - My house at the time was in Stoke Newington and I liked it