This is a spoken word ending to Braxton Hicks; continuing the stream of consciousness reminiscences about giving birth.
“This is the glockenspiel he got on his first Christmas – 7 months in the future. I thought they were called Xylophones for years, as a teacher told the name to me wrongly. It’s xylyo for wood, like xylem and phloem
We kept pretending we weren’t in labour to the taxi guy and I didn’t want to talk
Liz couldn’t at this stage
There’s a glowing pillar by Barking Abbey
Off to Whitechapel now, so Toby will be a Cockney
No one is born next to Bow Bells now. They aren’t in Bow
I mostly felt powerless. Fell asleep for an hour. Men need to do stuff, even me. Monster energy drink. Snacks for her, which I ate as something to do. Couldn’t be touched and couldn’t talk. Wasn’t hungry. You plan music to play and massages to do, but none of that happens. You just do what you’re told or wait. You don’t get to talk. When she had a spinal block it was as if she’d suddenly come back. Forceps lady had a glass mask like a welder’s. Some sort of argument about spinal after care.
He was small and cried right away which was a relief. Not a problem if they don’t apparently. All fingers and things there. I didn’t want to wash the blood off him too fast, as it seemed like part of the big event. When I changed his nappy at home I said, ‘Do you remember me. I was there when you first came out. It’s my job to give you a break’”
* There’s a glowing pillar by Barking Abbey - I saw this for the first time from the taxi, on our way to give birth
* Toby will be a Cockney - He was born in the Royal London Hospital, which is about as east end as you can get. However, it strictly speaking isn't within the sound of Bow Bells. In modern London almost noone lives near there
* Men need to so stuff - it's hard to see your wife giving birth, as you feel a bit useless. You don't really give her massages as you imagine you will
* Monster energy drink - A super-caffeinated drink
* "It’s my job to give you a break" - The essential job of a Dad, it seems to me